Monday, August 22, 2011

Da Boyz

Nicky is Reed's son, Tommy is my son, can you tell?  Well, we made them both together, but it's funny to me how one looks more like one of us, while they still look like brothers.  In any case, they're both so stinkin'cute!  It's hard to believe Nicky is gone all day, but it's not hard to feel it in my house! No more crying or fighting...until 4:00 o'clock that is!  Tommy has been such a sweet boy to me.  I was worried I couldn't cope and take care of him alone, with only one working leg.  But he is so good. He plays, watches TV, makes me plastic lunches, plays tigers with me or airplanes or legos or playmobiles...and sometimes he asks if he can go play with the Barbie house (the perks of having girls and boys, they're exposed to all kinds of playing without having to actually buy him a doll and make my husband cringe :).  It's been really hard being home bound, all day.  I miss going places ALONE!  Besides the bathroom, I really can't go anywhere alone.  I wish I had broken my left leg so that I can drive sooner.  I'm not allowed to put my foot down yet, no weight bearing for another 4 to 6 weeks, so even with a left broken leg, I wouldn't drive...but I would sooner than in this case.  I've had a boot for almost two weeks, so I've been able to take it off, bathe, shower and swim.  I sleep without it too, and I am trying to regain the mobility in my ankle.  I can wiggle my toes and draw the abc with my ankle (easy I hear you say, ha, try doing that after not moving it for 4 weeks!), true baby steps.  But the physical part is nothing compared to the mental challenge.  I have good days, but also long boring bad days.  Week-ends are usually good, because there are a lot of people around me.  But the week is long...and then I start counting how many weeks I've done, how many potential more I have left...and down goes my mood!  Okay, enough, today's been a good day so far and I'm keeping it that way, so enough of feeling sorry for myself!  I have a lot to be grateful for, really a lot:
- Reed, serving me and supporting me 100%
- my 5 kids, keeping me busy
- my good strong healthy leg, so muscular I look like a dude
- my sense of humour
- my friends who text me or drop buy or call me
- my scrabble games on my phone
- my parents whom I can call any day
- my knees, not that I can pray on them, but I sure can crawl and get a lot done (as long as it's carpet)
- nail polish, I love taking care of my 10 toes
- Vicodin, no comment
- 2011 and not 1911, where I would have lost my leg...although it wouldn't have been proper for a lady to skim board back then, so maybe I wouldn't have this problem in the first place
- chores, yep, they make you feel useful
- make up, when I put it on, I feel alive
- computers and free prime shipping on Amazon

but I'm mostly grateful to have the knowledge that things will be okay in the end, that I must endure.

"And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions." Mosiah 24: 14 (Book of Mormon, www.lds.org)






- my

4 comments:

Heather said...

Hang in there, cyster!! That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger!! (Just look at your left leg!) When I was in college I broke my left knee cap and was in a hard cast for 6 weeks from my hip to my toes - talk about stinky hair atrophy!! And I was convinced that if I had broken my right knee cap, I could have driven myself instead of being scootched into my boyfriend's Mercury Topaz back seat!!

Gray Family said...

I would have thought Sponge Bob and Dora would have made it onto your "thankful" list? No?

Sarah said...

word warp. it's an addicting app for your phone but you need to get it.

Muche said...

Kim: Pbs is on all morning, it should've made the list, along with Dirty Dancing!
Loved the comment about the left leg being stronger, I can so use it in a talk at church someday!
Sarah, I need more addictions ;)