Monday, October 19, 2009

My freedom trip

On October 10th, I took a trip ALONE!!! No kids AND no husband!!! I went home to Belgium. I was a bit nervous to leave the gang, but tried not to stress too much over it! With Alex's help and Grandma's help, Reed survived the 5 kids. I know he missed me, more and more as the week went by...which was the point!!! I saw my brother and his family, stayed with my parents, but went to Paris with my best friend from high school. I had a blast and didn't even miss the kids as much as I thought I was going to (shame to admit, but hey, I'm only human). I'm thinking about doing that more often, more than 17 years for sure. It was very cold there, I wore pants and sweaters and jackets...it's fall in the rest of the world, yep!
The fair in Liege last all month of October every year, it's about one mile long. French Fries are the best in Belgium (I don't know why they're called "French"). We make the best! We double dip them, they fry them once and when you go to buy them, they fry them again. They are crispy and perfect. And yes, we eat them with mayonaise (don't say anything until you've tried them, it is the way to do it). My brother and family, he loves modern furniture, kinda different from here.

My parents' back yard. Typical Belgian weather, inside a raining cloud!!!!


My twin...ever wonder what I'll look like in 28 years?



My elementry school, where my dad taught PE for 30 years (hmm, yeah, I had him for 6 years in school, yeah...not)




6 comments:

Ezra, Kian & Eden said...

How cool! It looks beautiful there. Glad you had such a nice trip. Speaking of trips...it's a trip how much you really do look like your Mom! Crazy!

erin said...

I am so going with you next time. That's a threat and a promise.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean! I loved my trip home last July. Sometimes it's okay for husbands to miss all the stuff we do! And so peaceful. Renewing. But my thoughts on the fries...probably yummy, but a walking heart attack!! Seriously.

Sarah said...

What a fun trip! So glad you got to have a fun and well-deserved getaway. Your parents' backyard is really pretty. Is that where you grew up?

There's a place in downtown SLC called Bruges Waffle and Frites that I really want to visit. Belgian waffles and fries - that's all they serve. Have you been there? I know they do the double fry thing and their website looks delicious. If you ever go there, let me know if it's anything like the REAL thing.

Muche said...

Sarah, I think my friend (who is Belgian and lives in Ogden) has been there and they seemed to like it, so I trust it's the real deal! I didn't grow up where my parents live now, they are in the Ardennes, near Bastogne (Battle of the Bulge WWII), but in Liege, about 45 min. from there. But same greenery, no brown cacti!
Kari: a good Belgian heart attack is so worth it though!

THE JACKSONS said...

Too cool! I'm so glad that you were able to go a on trip all by yourself! No doubt you will appreciate your family a whole lot more after having some personal time! I love the pics of your trip. So neat!