Thursday, July 15, 2010

Liege, cite ardente.

Liege is my home city.  I was born and raised there, I am proud to be a Liegeoise.  My city is over one thousand years old.  While the country of Belgium went from the hands of the Dutch, to the French, to the Spanish, the Principality of Liege remained independant, with its own Prince Bishop.  Maastricht (Holland now) used to be part of it.  It is rich in culture and just beautiful.  My parents have moved from there and now live in the Ardennes, so we took a day trip there.
Le Perron, symbol of freedom

Free

Old buldings, Place du marche

Palais des Princes Eveques, Place Saint Lambert

La Meuse (river)

This is a cafe, but the saying is in Wallon, which is the dialect of the French speaking part of Belgium.  It says "House of Peket"; Peket being a white alchool well known and loved by the good people of Liege :)

Just doors to an old church

Lost of walking, lots of heat, but lots of fun with Papy and Granny!
PS: my parents are both from Liege too, but you'd never know looking at my tourist dad!


2 comments:

Gray Family said...

What a beautiful place to grow up! Love your dad's shirt. How long are you gone for? This heat is too much. We are out of here again but not soon enough.

Ezra, Kian & Eden said...

What a beautiful city to grow up in! I love how you talk about it...that's loyalty! How fun for your kids to get to see where you grew up!