Saturday, January 15, 2011

In the Company of Heroes

My parents live near Bastogne. On December 16th, 1944 began one of the most decisive battle of WWII.  It was fought on my land.  The Americans saved my people from Hitler's last attempt at regaining control over the war.  I grew up hearing war stories, of my grand parents, living in fear of the V1 Bomb attacks over their city Liege, of my mom being born in the mist of a war, of my grand father being a prisoner of war in Germany and of my family's home destroyed completely by a bomb, killing my great grandma, her brother and a baby cousin.  WWII is big part of my life, and I will be forever grateful to these young innocent lives that gave their all so that I can be born in a country free of German dictator.

On a cold December day, veterans of the Battle of the Bulge reunite at the American cemetery in Luxembourg. Here, guarded by tall pines, rest the mortal remains of some 5,000 American boys who died fighting to liberate Europe. As the veterans reflect amidst the gently falling snow, their welling emotions confirm their often-stated belief: "The real heroes never came home." Here, they feel a presence, a warmth amidst the cold. Something tells them they are not alone and this silent reunion is not the last.