Sunday, April 12, 2009

Wiener Schnitzel und Spaetzle


This our Easter Dinner. Walmart and Basha's had no more hams or hash brown (for Cheesy potatoes). So I made this.

Spaetzle (sh-pay-t-s-l-ae) is a sort of noodle, very popular in southwest Germany, originating from Stutgart's area.

It takes 4 eggs, 4 cups of flour, 1tbs of salt and 1 cup of water. You mix it together, then push the dought through a colander with big holes (unless you have a Spaetzle maker laying in your house, right!).

The Wiener Schnitzel are breaded pork loin chops.

Always served with a mushroom sauce. Very authentic, very good, very Deutsch!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Silly me. I thought Weiner Schnitzel had Hot Dogs, or some kind of linked sausage in it. Whoops! My Americanism is showing! Looks yummy!

Gray Family said...

I know what you need for Mother's day! Where does one get their hands on a spaetzle maker?! My brother went to Germany on his mission and after a good helping of his mom's cooking this is one thing he requested for a birthday dinner! Funny!

Anonymous said...

Homemade noodles?! That's pretty impressive. I guess I'll have to admit defeat in the "Perfection" category and let you take the title. :)