Monday, April 6, 2009

Preparedness

I have planned on doing a 24 hour emergency bag for a long time; it was part of my procrastination list (along with getting skinny, exercising, never skipping Family Home Evening, always having Family Scripture Study, hmmm, I'll stop before I put myself down more). So we finally did it. I got a few back-packs from Goodwill, supplies from Big lots and so forth. Every 6 months, at the time of General Conference, we'll eat what will expire before next Conference and hopefully replace it. It was hard to get it through the kids that this will NEVER be used (we sure hope so) and that if you stick your favorite doll in the bag, it's like throwing it away. Maddy suggested we put fruits or bread, I suggested her to put Ice Cream too (hmm, yes, I can't help myself and answer a dumb suggestion with a dumber one: there are NO teaching moments in our home, only sarcasm). So there, we're ready for the next snow blizzard or the next hurricane that hit Phoenix: bring it on!

Each bag has an extra assignment: get water, get gas tank, take care of Tommy, get Important Folder
And they are waiting in the laundry room, for the "just in case" time.

7 comments:

sarah said...

Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Way to go!! That is on my long laundry list of things to do at my house as well. Congrats on pulling it together!!

Gray Family said...

Do one of those extra assignment bags have the assignment to take care of the Gray family? I sure hope so - anyway - way to go!

Unknown said...

I like how you hung those up. Accessible, but out of the way. Great idea!

Kristy said...

We SO need to do this! We FINALLY put a dent in starting our food storage and it's all sitting in our garage cause my basement is too messy to put it anywhere.

Oh and who said you can't have ice cream. Get some of that NASA stuff! :0)

Anonymous said...

Very cool idea. We just put together our 72 hour kit over conference weekend. It's our plan to make them over each conference session too. I'll think of you and your family every time. LOVE the sarcasm happening in your house! I'm way too sarcastic, but try not to be around my kids. Sometimes they make it so darn hard though! Just the other day Kian was sarcastic with me (keep in mind he just turned 4 years old) and I saw the downside of this bad habit. It was kind of funny though---I gave him 10 bonus points for being appropriately sarcastic. :)

Jen said...

I like the idea of changing it out every 6 months with conference. I had some a couple of years ago but never took anything out of them. Gross!! Of course, those are long gone now so I guess it's time to start all over again. And I do really like the idea of hanging them up high in the laundry room. You're such a SMARTY!!